Back to the Basics
with Stephanie Bullen
April 29, 2014
Let’s be honest, sometimes it feels like the universe is conspiring against your intentions for a good dinner. Whether it’s a late night at the office, the fact that you ran out of time to go grocery shopping this weekend, or playing chauffer for too many extra-curricular activities, there are nights that you just have to do a quick and easy dinner. But compromising on time doesn’t have to mean compromising on flavor.
Tableside Selections: Onion & Garlic, Salt & Pepper
Savory Spice Shop’s Tableside Selections were inspired by the idea of being easy to use and always at the ready. We’ve gone back to the basic building blocks of flavor, celebrating the classic flavors of salt, pepper, onion, and garlic.
It almost seems too simple, right? Salt & Pepper, Onion & Garlic. The truth is that the brilliance of these seasonings is their simplicity. When you get right down to it, there’s almost nothing that these blends aren’t perfect for. (Okay, maybe ice cream…though you might even be able to use Salt & Pepper there, too.)
If you’re so inclined, you can actually use these new tableside blends to create your own rubs or seasonings. If not, they are great to keep within arm’s reach while in the kitchen, for sprinkling on everything from salads to meats, and as a constant companion on the dinner table so that everyone can season their meal to their own taste.
Here are a few suggestions for quick and easy dinners featuring our must-have Tableside Selections:
- Salt & Pepper Tableside Seasoning: Lightly coat asparagus with olive oil and a generous sprinkle of this blend before grilling or sautéing. Sprinkle it over a salmon fillet and grill or sear in a hot skillet. Serve salmon and asparagus warm for a perfect spring or early summer dinner.
- Onion & Garlic Tableside Sprinkle: Shred cooked chicken and toss with cooked egg noodles. Melt butter and mix in a shake or two of this sprinkle. Drizzle onion & garlic butter over chicken and noodles and top with grated cheese, or a fried egg if you’re feeling a bit decadent.
- Salt & Pepper Tableside Seasoning with Onion & Garlic Tableside Sprinkle: Add both seasonings to a quick stir-fry of rice and veggies, with whatever protein you have handy.
To take things to the next level, here are a few more of our favorite All-Purpose Seasonings:
Mt. Hood Toasted Onion All-Purpose Rub
- Wash Park All-Purpose Seasoning: This blend is packed full of flavor, with base ingredients of pepper, sugar, garlic and salt. It’s a great addition to a basic vinaigrette, soup, or pasta salad.
- Mt. Elbert All-Purpose Seasoning: With salt, onion, pepper, and garlic, this blend covers all the bases. It’s a customer favorite, with a flavor reminiscent of ranch dressing, and good on everything from popcorn to pork chops.
- Mt. Hood Toasted Onion All-Purpose Rub: A coarser blend, this rub features the rich flavor of toasted onion, smoked salt, black pepper, and herbs. The slightly sweet, roasted flavor is very versatile and great on everything from fish to smashed potatoes and oven-roasted veggies to burgers.
We know that everyone loves those time-consuming, home-cooked classics. We also know (from experience!) that those meals aren’t always a realistic option. Adding a bit of your own flavors, whether from our Tableside Selections or any of our all-purpose seasonings, is a great way to personalize and enhance any meal.
For more quick and easy dinner ideas, take a glance at the Recipe section of our website.
For more education about how to use Savory products, browse the articles in the Features section of our website.