Three Reasons to Cook this Weekend
with Stephanie Bullen
Chief Flavor Advisor
chinese new year game day mardi gras recipes super bowl
Throw the resolutions out the window—this weekend is a food lover’s dream! In case you didn’t know, the coming days are a triple play (or bypass!) of delectable dishes. We kick it off with the big game on Sunday, followed by the Lunar or Chinese New Year on Monday, and cap it off with Fat Tuesday. We know you probably don’t need an excuse to cook but these three special days are certainly reasons to try a new recipe—or three!
Super Bowl 50 (Sunday, February 7)
Sunday is the BIG GAME. With a friendly rivalry (and wagers) between the Savory Spice Carolina and Denver stores, we’ve included a BBQ recipe to represent each team...may yours be the winner!
- Eastern Carolina BBQ Sauce: Perfect for pulled pork, this tangy spin on a traditional sauce features our Carolina High Country BBQ Rub.
- Red Rocks Hickory Smoke & Beer BBQ Sauce: Everyone knows that Colorado is home to some of the best craft breweries. Choose your favorite for this recipe, great on ribs or chicken.
Chinese Lunar/New Year (Monday, February 8)
The New Year is a cause for celebration. Noodles symbolize long life and fish represent prosperity (the word for fish sounds very similar to the word for abundant), so we’ve included a nod to each. It’s the year of the monkey, so bananas make for the perfect sweet finish.
- Singapore Noodle Salad: This curry-inspired shrimp and pork noodle dish is great for a warm dinner and even better for a cold leftover lunch.
- Lemon Pepper Grilled Trout: Couldn't be easier to rub a whole fish with lemon pepper and throw it on the grill. A little burst of sunshine in the middle of winter.
- Grilled Spiced Sugar Bananas with Spiced Nuts: You can grill these or sear them on the stovetop. They're so delicious and easy and they make an impressive dessert.
Mardi Gras (Tuesday, February 9)
Laissez le bon temps roulez with these southern and New Orleans inspired dishes. We have savory recipes as well as sweet indulgences – all fit for a ready-to-party crowd!
- Black River Creole Sauce with Sausage and Rice: This classic creole sauce comes together quickly for an easy weeknight dish.
- Bajan Lowcountry Shrimp & Rice: Shrimp, rice, and a tangy tomatillo sauce makes for a Caribbean take on this Southern American dish.
- Donuts with Chocolate Sauce: These are like beignets with a dipping sauce...yum!
- Blueberry Chai Chess Pie: This Southern delicacy will feed a partying crowd.
What are some of your favorite special holiday recipes? Submit them to our test kitchen so we can share them with our Savory Spice friends and family.