Recipe: Bacon and Mushroom Quiche
- 1 lb. bacon
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cups diced or thinly sliced yellow onion
- 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped or sliced
- 1/2 tsp. grey sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. Nantucket Rosemary & Citrus Poultry Rub
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 (9-inch) deep-dish pie dough pieces, homemade or store-bought*
*From recipe author: “I used 2 store-bought crusts to cut down on prep time. You can use sweet potatoes as the bottom of the dish instead of using a pie crust. This quiche also freezes well.”
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop bacon and cook in a large skillet over medium-high heat until just crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to cool and reserve about 1 Tbsp. of the bacon grease. Discard remaining bacon grease and return skillet to the stovetop. Heat butter and reserved bacon grease over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Add onion and mushrooms, season with a dash of the salt and pepper, and cook until light golden, 8 to 10 min. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, Nantucket rub, and garlic. Fold in bacon, onion-mushroom mixture, cheese, ½ tsp. grey sea salt, and ¼ tsp. coarse ground black pepper until combined. Line two pie pans with the pie dough pieces. Divide egg filling between the two pie pans and bake until center of quiches are just set, 40 to 45 min.
Serve warm or at room temperature.