Recipe: Cajun Shrimp Po' Boy with Remoulade Slaw
This delicious Cajun-inspired po' boy is the perfect choice to spice up your dinner routine.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. Hungarian Sweet & Spicy Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Tomato Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Black River Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Celery Seeds
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 mini sweet pickles, finely diced
- 2 tsp. Cajun Cayenne Hot Sauce, to taste
- 3 cups white cabbage, shredded*
- 1 carrot, shredded*
- 1 lb. shrimp, shelled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. Cajun Blackening Seasoning (Salt-Free)
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 quarts to 1 gallon corn or peanut oil, for frying*
- French baguette*
*If you don't want to shred the cabbage and carrot yourself, feel free to get a bagged coleslaw veggie mix. The amount of oil that you will need will depend on the size of your pot or fryer. You can substitute any bread that has a chewy crust and soft, airy middle.
Whisk mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce together. Mix in spices, fresh parsley, diced pickles, and hot sauce (if using). Add shredded cabbage and carrots and fold into mayonnaise mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Heat oil to 350°F in fryer or a deep pot on the stove. Thoroughly combine blackening seasoning, cornmeal, and flour in a sealable bag or bowl. In small batches, dip shrimp into buttermilk. Let excess buttermilk drip off and place shrimp in flour mixture. Seal container and shake shrimp until covered. Shake off excess coating and fry shrimp immediately in oil for 1 to 2 min., or until golden brown. Place fried shrimp on a baking sheet with a rack or on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up excess oil. Continue to fry shrimp in batches until all the shrimp is cooked.
Cut bread into sandwich-sized lengths and slice an opening in the side. Fill each sandwich with a generous portion of slaw and top the slaw with fried shrimp to your preference. Serve immediately.
Serve alongside fresh french fries and a bottle of hot sauce.