Recipe: Chipotle Pumpkin Soup
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2-15 oz. cans pumpkin puree
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, diced*
- 2 tsp. Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. dehydrated minced garlic
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground Chinese cinnamon
- 4 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock
- 1/2 to 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. citrus juice (orange or lime)
- salt and pepper, to taste
*Adjust chipotle based on how spicy you like it.
Heat butter in large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 3 to 4 min. until it starts to become translucent. Add carrots, pumpkin, chipotle and spices, and saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 6 min. Add stock, bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 15 min. Puree soup in a blender (in batches) or with a handheld immersion blender. Stir in desired amount of cream, then add citrus juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve garnished with raw or toasted pumpkin seeds and/or whole or torn cilantro.