Recipe: Cinnamon Apple Baked Beans
Apple pie filling, meet baked beans. Use this recipe to give a sweet twist to everyone's favorite barbecue and holiday side dish.
- 2 slices bacon, diced*
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup Spiced Vanilla Bean Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. prepared yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. ground Supreme Saigon cinnamon
- 1 tsp. regular yellow mustard powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 2 (28 oz.) cans Bush’s Baked Beans*
*For a vegetarian version, omit bacon and cook onion in 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil. Bush’s Baked Beans are available in a vegetarian variety.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook bacon in an ovenproof pot over medium heat until just crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Add onions to pot with bacon grease and cook until soft, about 5 min. Add apples, sugar, and molasses and cook for 3 more min., stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients and reserved bacon and stir to combine. Transfer pot to preheated oven and bake, covered with a lid or foil, for about 1 hour. Serve warm.
Perfect with holiday ham and roast turkey. Makes a great a side for your favorite barbecue.