Recipe: Crystallized Ginger or Candied Citrus Shortbread Cookies
This is a quick recipe, so it's easy to make all three versions of this shortbread for a fun and sophisticated way to present a classic cookie.
For dough base (makes one version):
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
For crystallized ginger version:
- 1/2 tsp. ginger extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 cup cubed crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. sucanat sugar
For candied lemon version:
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- 1/8 tsp. Spanish saffron powder
- 1/2 cup candied lemon peel strips, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. turbinado sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Hawaiian red gold sea salt
For candied orange version:
- 1/2 tsp. orange extract
- 2 tsp. Baker's Brew Coffee Spice
- 1/2 cup candied orange peel strips, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Black Onyx Chocolate Sugar
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Cream butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy, about 5 min. Stir in extract from the version of cookie you're making. Combine flour, kosher salt, spice and candied ginger or citrus option in a small bowl, reserving sugar for later use. Slowly stir dry ingredients into butter-sugar mixture until barely combined then beat until a smooth dough comes together.
Roll dough into 1-inch balls and flatten to ½-inch disks. (The dough can also be refrigerated then rolled as cutout cookies.) Dip disks in bowl of sugar for the version you're making to lightly coat each side then set on parchment-lined baking sheets. (For candied lemon version, also sprinkle tops of cookies with a small pinch of the sea salt.)
Bake for 13 to 18 min. or until pale golden. Cool completely on baking sheets before serving.