Recipe: Espresso & Cocoa Pecan Pie
Give your traditional pecan pie a mocha twist with dashes of cocoa powder and espresso powder.
- 1 (9-inch) premade pie crust, uncooked*
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. Mexican Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. dehydrated minced orange peel (or ¾ tsp. fresh orange zest)
- 2 Tbsp. Mexican Cocoa
- 2 Tbsp. Espresso Powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups pecan halves (about ½ lb.), plus a handful for decorating the top
*If making a homemade pie crust (which we highly recommend), refrigerate it after rolling it out and lining the pie pan with it. This will help keep the butter cool and produce a flakier cooked crust. The pie can be made 1 day ahead and chilled. Bring to room temp before serving.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together butter, sugar, corn syrup, extract, orange peel, cocoa, espresso powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs then whisk into filling mixture until fully incorporated. Line a pie pan with the pie crust. Spread pecans evenly onto pie crust then top with filling. If desired, decorate the top with a handful more pecan halves. Bake on the middle rack for 15 min. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30 to 35 min. until filling is set. Cool for 1 to 2 hours before serving.