Recipe: Outside Brown Pork Shoulder
Outside brown is like the burnt ends of a brisket, only in pork form. You simply trim off the outside brown bark that forms on the smoked pork shoulder, then chop it up (coarse or fine) or cube it to serve.
- 1 (5 to 8 lb.) pork shoulder (bone-in or boneless)
- 2 to 3 tsp. Cue Glue per pound meat (optional)*
- 1 tsp. Salt & Pepper Tableside Seasoning per pound meat
- 1 tsp. Carolina High Country BBQ Rub per pound meat
*Savory's 'Cue Glue helps the seasoning stick to your protein and creates a chewy yet tender bark. Simply slather on 2 to 3 tsp. per pound on all sides of the meat before applying the seasoning.
Slather shoulder on all sides with 'Cue Glue if using before rubbing shoulder with seasoning. Rub shoulder generously with salt & pepper and BBQ seasoning to coat. Set rubbed shoulder aside while you get the smoker ready.
Use the 3-2-1 method to smoke-roast-grill the shoulder:
- 3 hours in the smoker: Get smoker set up with wood of choice and heat to 250 to 275 degrees. Set shoulder in smoker and maintain temperature range while shoulder smokes for 3 hours.
- 2 hours in the oven: Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Wrap shoulder in aluminum foil and add 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar to the wrap. Set foil packet on a baking sheet and roast shoulder for 2 hours.
- 1 hour on the grill: About 30 min. before removing shoulder from oven, heat grill to 300 degrees, keeping heat all to one side. Remove shoulder from oven and remove the foil wrap. Place shoulder on grill on the opposite side of the heat. Close lid and check temperature every 15 min. or so, basting or saucing if desired each time you check. Shoulder is done when internal temperature reaches 200 degrees, which takes about an hour. Let rest for 15 to 20 min. before serving.
To serve: Trim the outside ½ to ¾ inch of the brown bark that formed on the smoked pork shoulder. Chop it up (coarse or fine) or cube it and serve. Chop or pull the rest of the pork shoulder and serve as desired.
Great with a Carolina inspired BBQ plate. Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce and slaw.