Recipe: Rigatoni with Coffee Spiced Sausage
A quick and easy homemade sausage makes this the perfect weeknight pasta dish. It's even better the next day after the flavors meld, so it makes a great leftovers lunch.
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. Black Dust Coffee & Spice Rub
- 1 lb. rigatoni pasta
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 tsp. dehydrated minced garlic (or 2 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup Guinness or other stout beer
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 10 grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 scallions, sliced on the bias
- 1 large pinch crushed red pepper
- Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
For a vegetarian version: Substitute 1 lb. tempeh for pork and beef. Crumble tempeh and mix with 4 Tbsp. water and spice rub. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Brown tempeh sausage mixture in 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil. Double the amount of wine, beer, and cream in the pasta sauce, as the tempeh really soaks up the liquid.
For sausage: Thoroughly combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 min.
For pasta: Cook rigatoni according to package directions until al dente; drain and set aside. Meanwhile, brown sausage in a deep skillet over medium-high heat, 4 to 6 min. Stir in bell pepper and garlic. Add wine and Guinness and simmer until reduced by about half, 4 to 5 min. Stir in cream and simmer for to 2 to 3 min. Fold in rigatoni, tomatoes, and scallions. Season with crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve warm.