Recipe: Salt Brick Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
Don't be intimidated by the salt brick! A creative spice merchant gave us this super easy method for cooking succulent shrimp right on the salt brick, either on the grill or in the oven.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Mayan sea salt
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 to 3 cups shredded green cabbage (or a pre-shredded bag of cabbage)
- 3/4 cup Cotija cheese
- 2 lbs. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 4 Tbsp. choice of seasoning:
- Cajun Style Blackening Seasoning
- Peruvian Chile Lime Seasoning
- El Diente Peak Southwestern Seasoning
- 1 Himalayan Salt Brick
- 16 small corn or flour tortillas
- Lime wedges for serving
For slaw: Place everything except sour cream, cabbage and cheese in a food processor. Pulse to combine. When mostly smooth, add sour cream and pulse until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. In a large bowl, toss dressing with cabbage and cheese. Set aside while you prepare shrimp.
For shrimp: Preheat the salt brick in the oven or on the grill to at least 450 degrees. Toss shrimp with choice of seasoning and thread shrimp onto skewers; it’s easier to cook shrimp on the brick if they are skewered. When salt brick is ready, set shrimp skewers on the brick and cook about 4 min. per side. Remove skewers from salt brick and let shrimp cool.
To serve: Divide shrimp among the tortillas and top each with slaw.