Recipe: Slow Cooker Cuban Island Pork
This easy slow cooker recipe is perfect for cold winter nights when you need a taste of the islands. It's also a great summer recipe to use for tacos or tostadas.
- 2 lbs. pork loin roast, cut into ½- to 1-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (30 oz.) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice (or 1 can V8® or similar)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup light or dark rum (optional)*
- 1 Tbsp. liquid tamarind paste concentrate
- 3 Tbsp. Cuban Island Spice
*If you don’t have rum on hand, double the orange juice to ½ cup.
Season cubed pork with generous pinches of salt and pepper and set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Place all ingredients, including seasoned pork, in a slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours until pork is fork tender. Serve warm.
Serve over rice with a dollop of sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro. Makes a great filling for tacos and burritos or a topping for nachos or tostadas.