Recipe: Southeast Asian Pickling Spice
This DIY Southeast Asian Pickling Spice is great for watermelon rind.
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 2 tsp. dehydrated minced onion
- 1 tsp. white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. cracked ginger
- 1 tsp. dehydrated minced lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp. cracked galangal root
- 1/2 tsp. dehydrated minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Szechwan peppercorns
- 1 Makrut lime leaf
- 1 dried Thai chile
- 1 whole star anise (or ½ tsp. broken star anise pieces)
Great for pickling green beans, jalapeños, radishes, watermelon rind, or stone fruits. A sprig of fresh cilantro, parsley, or both would pair well with this spice blend. Simply pack the fresh herbs into the jar of whatever you’re pickling. You could also consider adding a touch of honey.
Mix all ingredients together and use about 1 to 1 ½ tsp. of the spice blend per pint of pickled goods. To bring out the full flavor, toast the spice blend in a skillet over medium heat for 1 to 3 min., or until aromatic, before adding to your pickling brine.