Recipe: Sweet Roasted Root Vegetables
This is a great holiday side dish for when you want to switch things up a bit.
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb. parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb. turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb. new or fingerling potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. of one of the following seasonings:
- Georgia Peach Spice
- Park Hill Maple & Spice Pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves (optional)
You can use any mix of root vegetables in place of the ones listed. Beets, rutabaga, celery root, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and shallots are all good options.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a large sheet pan or roasting pan with foil. Spread prepared vegetables across pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper, and seasoning of choice. Stir with spatula or hands to coat vegetables. Make sure vegetables are spread out as much as possible in one layer. Lay another piece of foil on top to loosely cover. Roast for 25 to 30 min. or until all vegetables are fork tender. Remove foil for the last 5 to 10 min. and add sage (if using); this will release some steam and help vegetables brown a bit more. Serve warm or at room temperature.