Recipe: Turkey Brining Mix Instructions
Brining with our easy-to-use turkey brining mix will infuse your bird with flavor and ensure it remains tender and juicy while it cooks.
- 16 oz. Brining Mix (included in our Holiday Turkey Brining Kit)*
- 2 gallons water
- 12-15 lb. fresh or thawed whole turkey
*Our Holiday Turkey Brining Kit contains a 16 oz. Brining Mix (just the right amount of salt, sugar, and seasoning to brine a 12-15 lb. turkey covered in about 2 gallons of water) plus 1 brining bag and 1 roasting bag.
For poultry smaller than 12 lb., use about 8 oz. of mix per 1 gallon of water. For poultry larger than 15 lb., use about 24 oz. mix (1 bag of 16 oz. plus 1 bag of 8 oz.) per 3 gallons of water.
For step-by-step instructions with photos, check out our Turkey Brining Made Easy feature article.
1. Find a large, food-safe container with enough room to hold a 12-15 lb. turkey that can be completely submerged in liquid. Line container with brining bag (if using).
2. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 quart water and 16 oz. Brining Mix to a boil, stirring to dissolve salt and sugar. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. (Tip: Set over ice to speed up cooling.)
3. Place fresh or thawed turkey in brining bag (if using) in container. Pour cooled brine liquid over turkey then top with enough water to submerge turkey, about 1. to 2 gallons depending on size of turkey and container.
4. Use the black tie included with brining bag (if using) to close bag. Cover container and refrigerate turkey in brine for about 1 hour per lb. of turkey.
5. Remove turkey from brine. Discard brine and brining bag (if using). Rinse turkey and pat it dry.
6. Rub turkey with your favorite seasoning (about 1 tsp. per lb. of turkey) before roasting, grilling, or smoking.
After brining, try rubbing your turkey with one of our favorite poultry seasonings:
- Tiny Town Turkey Rub
- Nantucket Rosemary & Citrus Poultry Rub
- Gold Coast Tropical Poultry Rub
- Bohemian Forest European Style Seasoning
- Team Sweet Mama’s BBQ Chicken Rub
- Peruvian Chile Lime Seasoning