Recipe: Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup
A soup so quick, easy, and delicious that it just might become your new weeknight favorite.
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 1 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 1/2 lbs. red potatoes, diced
- 1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. ONE of the following spice blends:
- Summit County Seasoning
- Mt. Evans Butcher
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot starch/flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 scallions, sliced (optional)
This soup was the landslide winner in the Alderwood/Seattle, WA Savory Spice & Co. 2015 Soup-er Stew Customer Cook-Off.
In a Dutch oven or stock pot, cook sausage and onions over medium-high heat until onions soften and sausage starts to brown, 5 to 7 min. Stir in potatoes, black pepper and your choice of spice blend. Cook, stirring, for 3 more min. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender but not falling apart, about 15 min. Meanwhile, combine flour and water in a small bowl to create a smooth slurry. Slowly pour slurry into the soup pot, stirring continuously, and cook until soup is slightly thickened. In the final few minutes of cooking, stir in half and half and Parmesan. Remove from heat and allow soup to cool for 5 min. before serving. Top each serving with scallions, if using.