Roasted Pear & Pineapple Summer Salsa
- 6 ripe pears, peeled and cut into halves*
- 1/4 pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced*
- 1 cup small diced red or green bell peppers (or a mix of both)
- 6 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. La Plata Peak Latino Spice
- 1/4 of a can chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. minced crystallized ginger
- 1 Tbsp. minced dried mango
*Instead of 6 pears, you can use 2-15 oz. cans of halved pears, drained. Instead of 1/4 pineapple, you can use 1-15 oz. can pineapple slices, drained.
Preheat broiler. Place pears and pineapple on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum and place in broiler. Broil for 4 to 5 min. per side then remove and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together mixed bell peppers, lime juice, La Plata and adobo sauce (setting chipotles aside for mincing). For more heat, use a ½ can of chipotle in adobo; to ease up a bit, use ¼ can. Mince chipotles and add to the bowl along with remaining ingredients. Stir lightly. Coarsely dice roasted fruit and add it to the bowl; toss gently. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Serve with chips or as a topping for pork or chicken.