Recipe: Outside In Burgers with Sweet & Spicy Ketchup
This is our version of “inside out” or “Juicy Lucy” burgers, as they are known in various parts of the country.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Choice of seasoning:
- Lodo Red Adobo
- Mapuche Style Merkén Seasoning
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 3/4 tsp. Coarse Black Malabar Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Mexican Oregano
- 1/4 tsp. Organic Ground Cumin Seeds
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (optional)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 4 buns
Mix ketchup thoroughly with seasoning and set aside. Preheat grill. Mix together ground beef, pepper, salt, garlic, oregano, cumin and egg (if needed to bind) until thoroughly combined, but not overworked. Form into 4 equal sized balls. Flatten out each ball to 1/4-inch thick and place a tbsp each of the diced red onion and diced cheddar in the middle. Fold flatten burger meat over the onion and cheddar enclosing it securely in the middle of the meat and form back into a ball. Then flatten into a 3/4-inch thick burger patty. Grill to desired temperature, turning only once. Toast bun on the grill in indirect heat.
Serve with Maple Pepper Sweet Potato Wedges.