Recipe: Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad
This versatile salad can be used as an appetizer or main dish and adapted with your chioce of vegetables.
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. Za'Atar Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. Supreme Shallot Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Extra Coarse Black Malabar Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 16 oz. orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 5 plum tomatoes, seeded and small-diced
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and small-diced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can artichoke heart halves, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese*
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 lemon, juiced and zest grated
- 2 tsp. Italian Black Truffle Sea Salt
This recipe also works well with Cantanzaro Herbs in place of the Za’Atar Seasoning.
For marinade: Mix all ingredients together in a sealed jar and shake well to combine. For salad: Cook orzo pasta according to package directions (about 8 to 9 min. for al dente). Drain and rinse with cold water. Place in large bowl to cool and stir in 1/4 cup olive oil to prevent sticking. While pasta cools, prepare vegetables. Once pasta is cool, stir in vegetables, parsley, feta, pine nuts, lemon juice and zest and marinade. Cover and chill in refrigerator for a minimum of 1 to 2 hours. Sprinkle with truffle salt just before serving.
*Omit feta if making dish to sit out for a party. Add cooked chicken to make into a main dish. Marinade can also be used to prepare grilled or roasted poultry, fish and vegetables.