Recipe: Sweet Green Pea Falafel
- 12 oz. bag frozen green peas
- 3 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small shallot
- 1/8 bunch parsley, de-stemmed
- 1 sprig rosemary, de-stemmed
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ground Caraway Seeds
- 1 tsp. Ground Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Coarse Malabar Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil to fill large cast iron pan to 1/2 inch
Remove green peas from freezer and allow to thaw slightly at room temperature, about 15 min. In a food processor, using the grater disc, grate the frozen peas to a coarse consistency then transfer to a medium bowl. In the food processor, use the blade to finely chop scallions, shallots, parsley and rosemary. Thoroughly mix them into the grated peas. Next, add spices and flour and fold together until completely combined. Seal the bowl using plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min. to allow flavors to meld. This mixture can be made up to 48 hours before cooking.
Form falafels by rolling tightly into about 12 to 14 ping pong-sized balls. Heat vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, carefully add half of the falafels, flattening each slightly with the back of a serving spoon. Cook for 2 to 3 min. until the bottom of the bright green falafel has turned a dark brown. Using a spatula and a serving spoon, carefully turn each falafel over and cook for another 2 to 3 min. or until dark brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined cooling rack on a cookie sheet to drain. Repeat with remaining falafel.