Recipe: Spiced Pumpkin Tart with Orange-Graham Crust
When you want to switch up your pumpkin pie routine, try something a bit more exotic than Pumpkin Pie Spice. We love how Chinese Five Spice or Garam Masala add warmth and depth to this pumpkin dessert. And the orange-graham tart crust is a nice departure from the usual pie shell.
For the crust:
- 9 full-size graham crackers (or 1¼ cup crumbs)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup pecans
- grated zest of 1 medium orange
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 2 cups canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. dark rum
- 2 tsp. Madagascar vanilla extract
- 3 tsp. Chinese Five Spice
- pinch of salt
For crust: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all ingredients except butter in food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer mixture to small bowl and stir in melted butter until well combined. Press mixture into 9-inch tart or pie pan and bake for 5 to 6 min. until set and starting to brown. Remove from oven to cool.
For filling: Mix everything together in large bowl. Pour into cooled tart crust, filling almost to crust edge. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 min. until set in the middle. Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving.
Serve with topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with toasted, chopped pecans.