Recipe: Coconut Curried Hummus
- 1/2 tsp. dehydrated minced garlic
- 1/4 cup lime (or lemon) juice
- 1-15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. tahini
- 2 Tbsp. coconut milk powder, optional
- 1 Tbsp. Hot Yellow Curry Powder*
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. Organic Ground Turmeric
- 2 Tbsp. coconut (or olive) oil
- 3 Tbsp. shredded, unsweetened coconut
*You can also use Mild or Medium Yellow Curry Powder for less heat, or try substituting one of your other favorite curry blends. It's delicious with Madras Curry, Zanizibar Curry Powder or Caribbean All-Purpose Curry Powder.
In a small non-reactive bowl, combine garlic and lime juice and set aside for about 15 min. so garlic has a chance to rehydrate. Add garbanzo beans and garlic-lime juice mixture to a food processor and pulse several times to puree. Add remaining ingredients except coconut oil and shredded coconut and process until smooth, scraping sides of the bowl if necessary to get everything incorporated. Heat coconut oil in microwave for 10 to 20 seconds to melt it. With food processor running, drizzle in coconut oil through the feed tube, then add shredded coconut and pulse until just mixed. Taste and adjust seasoning to your personal preference. If mixture is too thick for your liking, add additional lime juice, yogurt or water to thin it out.
Use as a spread for sandwiches and wraps or as a dip with plantain chips, veggie chips, pita bread, or fresh vegetables.