Recipe: Baked Fried Green Tomatoes
Crunchy and delicious–without having to fry them!
- 4 to 5 medium green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. Choice of seasoning:
- Panhandle Chicken Fried Steak Seasoning
- Cantanzaro Herbs
- Cajun Style Blackening Seasoning
- Black River Creole Seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 tsp. Salt & Pepper Tableside Seasoning
- Olive oil cooking spray
This recipe would also work well for coating pickle spears, pickle chips, or pickled jalapenos.
Set 2 baking sheets in the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice tomatoes into 1/4-inch rounds and pat dry. In a shallow bowl, mix panko with cornmeal, flour, and seasoning. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together egg, egg white and Salt & Pepper Tableside. Remove baking sheets from oven and lightly spray with cooking oil. Dip tomato slices into the egg mixture then into the panko mixture. Set on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all tomato slices are coated. Lightly spray the top surface of the coated tomatoes with cooking spray. Bake for 12 to 15 min. Flip each tomato and lightly spray again. Cook for 8 to 10 more min. Remove tomatoes from baking sheet and serve hot.