Recipe: BBQ Chicken Pizza
This is an easy classic that comes together for a weeknight meal or a weekend game day get-together.
- 1 premade pizza dough (or 1 precooked pizza crust)
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large or 2 small chicken breasts (about 3/4 lb.)
- 2 Tbsp. your favorite BBQ rub:
- Georgia Boys All-Purpose BBQ Rub
- Team Sweet Mamas BBQ Chicken Rub
- Memphis BBQ Rub
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup your favorite Savory Spice Small Batch BBQ Sauce:
- Midwestern Sweet Barbecue Sauce
- Woodys Sweet & Tangy Barbecue Sauce
- Old-Fashioned Root Beer Barbecue Sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese*
*Look for a natural Gouda with no added stabilizers, otherwise the cheese won’t melt.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If using pizza dough, line pizza pan or baking sheet with dough, brush with 1 Tbsp. of the oil, and use a fork to poke several holes across the dough. Bake about 10 min. until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, place chicken breasts in a zip top bag and use a meat mallet to pound them out to an even 1/4- to 1/2-inch thickness. Coat chicken generously with Georgia Boys. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a skillet over medium-high. Add chicken and cook about 3 min. per side or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and chop or shred. Add red onion to skillet and cook about 3 min. until softened.
Spread BBQ sauce over precooked pizza crust. Add mozzarella, then chicken and red onion, and finish with Gouda. Bake at 450 degrees for about 10 min. until cheese starts to bubble.