Recipe: BBQ Chicken Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
These sloppy joes have a BBQ twist and can be adapted to your family's tastes: make it mild or hot, smoky or not, use your favorite BBQ sauce, or top with garnish of choice.
For BBQ sauce:*
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tsp. California Paprika
- 2 tsp. Onion & Garlic Tableside Sprinkle
- 1/2 tsp. Hickory Smoke Flavoring (optional)
For sloppy joes:
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 lbs. ground chicken
- 2 Tbsp. Summit County Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 cups frozen black-eyed peas (or 1 (15 oz.) can, drained)
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (7 oz.) can fire roasted diced green chiles (mild or hot)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp. Crushed Aleppo Chiles
- 6 sandwich buns
- Optional garnish: shredded cheese, sliced scallions, chopped fresh cilantro, pickled jalapeños
*Replace BBQ sauce recipe with 1 1/2 to 2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce.
For BBQ sauce: Mix all ingredients together and set aside.
For sloppy joes: Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken, Summit County, and salt and saute until chicken is cooked through. Transfer to slow cooker and add reserved BBQ sauce and all remaining ingredients (except buns and optional garnish). Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours; it's done when most of the liquid is absorbed. Adjust seasoning to taste then serve over buns with optional garnish on the side.