Huddle Up for Game Day Snack Planning88
with Stephanie Bullen
Chief Flavor Advisor
dip game day guacamole popcorn snacks wings
January. The time of year when people resolve to eat better or healthier but then find themselves glued to the television watching all the bowl games. While you may think these two things are polar opposites, you can have your snacks and eat them too. Whether you have resolved to start cooking more or to start eating healthier food, snack foods will keep you satisfied. There are easy recipes, options to feed a crowd and some indulgent options – just in case you want to let go and really enjoy the big game.
The Rookie: Many people come into our stores adamantly stating, “I’m not a cook.” The great thing about homemade snacks is that you don’t have to be a cook to make something delicious!
Grand Dill Dip...you don't have to cook to make something delicious.
- Grand Dill Dip: This recipe may only have six ingredients and one step but it’s big on flavor. A party classic, serve with veggies, crackers, or pretzels. We are pretty sure you won’t have any left but if you do, try it on salmon or as a sandwich spread.
- Jamaican Jerk Marinade: Similar in heat to buffalo wings, Jamaican Jerk chicken is a tried and true favorite. You can mix up the marinade and let your chicken soak overnight, so this recipe really doesn’t take very long – and is sure to wow your friends and family.
The Running Back: You’re rushing to execute the play. You may not have been prepared for a party but don’t worry, we have plenty of great recipes that you can prepare in a hurry.
Kale Chips...a flavorful, healthy snack in 10 minutes.
- Erin’s Quick & Easy Guacamole: A little chopping, some mashing, mix and you’re done. The addition of freshly chopped tomatoes makes this quac a party ready twist on a popular standby. (Bonus: you can mix up the seasoning, depending on what you have handy.)
- Savory Kale Chips: Another recipe that allows you to choose your own seasoning. Prep while you preheat, stick them in the oven, and 10 minutes later you’ve got a healthy snack.
- Two ingredient dip: For a quick and easy dip, simply mix 1 to 3 Tbsp. of your favorite Savory Spice Shop seasoning into 8 oz. of sour cream. You may have enjoyed this as a sample in one of our stores. How to flavor it? The possibilities are endless but some of our favorites are Red Rocks Hickory Smoke Seasoning, Paris Cheese Sprinkle, and Caribbean Curry Powder.
The Quarterback: You’re calling the shots. These recipes require you to know the play, plan ahead, prepare and execute. In return, you’re sure to be the MVP.
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers...a little prep and planning goes a long way for bacon fans.
- Marmalade Marinated Woody Creek Wings: Sweet, savory, grilled…who doesn’t love a good barbequed wing? For a spin on the classic bar snack, serve with celery, carrot, and a bleu cheese dip.
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers: Everything is better with bacon, right? Salty bacon, creamy bajan spread, and spicy jalapenos combine for the perfect two bite snack. Any leftover bajan spread can be used for sandwiches or sliders, even as a veggie dip.
- Lemon Ginger Moonshine: This “adults only” lemonade will give any party an infusion of fun. Stretch it out by adding a splash of club soda for a cocktail version.
The Veteran: Ever veteran player knows that, regardless of how you start, it is all about how you finish. These sweet (and spiced) treats are fit for a champion.
Vanilla & Curry Spiced Popcorn...who doesn't love caramel corn?
- Vanilla & Curry Spiced Caramel Popcorn: Who doesn’t love caramel corn. This winning recipe adds a kiss of spice with a chile blend and a curry seasoning added in.
- Texas Sheet Cake: From the state known for Friday Night Lights comes this delicious, crumbly sheet cake. As the saying goes, “Everything’s bigger in Texas!”
- Kitchen Sink Blondies: Forget the traditional brownies, everyone knows that blondies have more fun. With just a hint of bourbon, this is the perfect game day finish.