Recipe: Waldorf Chicken Wellington
From the recipe author: “The flavors in this recipe were inspired by a dish my brother-in-law made for my in-laws' 30th wedding anniversary, 17 years ago.”
- 1 apple, cored and finely diced (Honeycrisp or any variety)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 stalk celery (leaves included), finely diced
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1 tsp. Pyramid Peak Lemon Pepper
- 4 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg + 1 Tbsp. water, beaten together
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into six pieces
- Additional Pyramid Peak Lemon Pepper for seasoning
The blogger behind and jeniskitchen.com created this recipe with Savory’s lemon pepper seasoning in mind.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small mixing bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Working with one sheet of pastry at a time, roll it out slightly. Cut in half and brush with the egg wash. Season the chicken on both sides with Pyramid Peak. Place one piece of chicken at a short end of each rectangle of pastry (leaving about an inch border); top with about 1/4 cup of the apple mixture. Fold the pastry over and tuck in the edges, using more egg wash to seal if needed. Repeat with the other sheets of pastry, moving the bundles to greased baking sheets. Brush the tops with the remaining egg wash. Bake for 20 to 25 min., until the pastry is golden and beginning to brown at the edges.
A nice complement to this entree would be a toasty rice pilaf or creamy mashed potatoes along with a crisp green veggie like asparagus or fresh green beans.