"Free" Your Food and Flavor will Follow128
with Suzanne Klein
Chief Yummy Officer
gluten gluten free gluten-free healthy eating healthy recipes salt salt free salt-free sugar sugar free sugar-free
You don’t have to sacrifice flavor when it comes to eating healthy.
You don’t have to sacrifice flavor when it comes to eating healthy. If you’re eating “free”—giving up salt, cutting back on sugar, or taking gluten, dairy or meat out of your diet—Savory Spice can help you find seasonings and spices to meet your nutrition and diet needs.
Find healthy flavor, customized to your tastes and needs, by visiting with your local Savory Spice merchant for ideas or start by browsing our website. We recently added helpful nutrition and diet categories so you can search salt-free, sugar-free, and gluten-free as well as other categories like vegetarian, vegan, and dairy-free. Simply click on the “Nutrition & Diet” search filter in either the Spices & Seasonings or Recipes sections to explore the choices.
A Few of Our Favorites
With so many options for everyone, we wanted to give you a head start on browsing. Here are a few of our favorite seasonings and recipes within the healthy eating categories customers ask us about most.
For many of our customers, eating healthy means reducing sodium or moving toward a salt-free diet. Savory Spice is dedicated to providing salt-free products that allow you to eat healthy without sacrificing flavor. We have over 300 salt-free products to choose from. Here are a few of our favorite salt-free seasonings and salt-free recipes.
EKG Gift Set: Sure, the holidays are over but you can still treat yourself to a little “eating healthy” gift. The EKG gift set is a customer favorite—a sampling of our most popular salt-free signature seasonings: Cantanzaro Herbs, Bohemian Forest European Style Seasoning, and Mt. Evans Butcher’s Rub.
Slow Cooker "Roast" Chicken Recipe: Once you pick up that EKG gift pack, use any one of the flavorful salt-free seasonings for this easiest-ever slow roasted chicken recipe that becomes fall-off-the-bone, melt-in-your-mouth delicious after a few hours in a slow cooker.
Garlic & Onion: One of the best substitutions for salt is garlic and onion. Both pack a lot of flavor that can help make up for the missing salt. We have seven garlic options to choose from, including the exotic yet easy-to-use black garlic. We also carry seven types of dehydrated onion, including shallots and scallions. Many of our salt-free signature seasonings are loaded with garlic and/or onion, including my everyday favorite Onion & Garlic Tableside Sprinkle.
Whether you’re giving up sweets after a glutinous holiday season or simply trying to cut down on the sugar for family meals and treats, Savory offers over 350 sugar-free products to help. In fact, the vast majority of Savory’s spices and seasonings do not include sugar as an added ingredient. Here are a few of our favorite sugar-free seasonings and recipes without added sugar.
Mt. Baker Chai Spice Seasoning: It’s hard not to want to bake sweets with this fragrant chai-inspired spice blend. Our Mt. Baker blend is also a great seasoning for savory dishes or sweet-ish treats when you’re trying to avoid sugar yet still add flavor. Try a generous sprinkle over oatmeal, dust it on pork chops before grilling, or stir it into fruit smoothies.
Chai Chia Pudding Recipe: This easy no-cook, sugar-free pudding is packed with chai flavor from our Mt. Baker Chai Spice Seasoning. The chia seeds add great texture and you can use your favorite milk or yogurt (or non-dairy equivalent) as the pudding base.
Chili Powder: If you search “chili powder” on our website, the first four products that come up are not only salt-free but also sugar-free. Whether you want to spice up popcorn, create a Southwestern dish, or make a pot of chili, you can easily do it without adding sugar.
Black Canyon Beef & Sausage Chili Recipe: This beef & sausage chili recipe is a family-friendly crowd pleaser featuring one of our most popular chili powders. It has a slightly sweet note from the cocoa powder and cinnamon in the sugar-free spice blend. When shopping for the ingredients look for sausage and canned goods (tomatoes, beans) with no added sugar to help reduce the overall sugar in the final dish.
Savory Spice has always been committed to providing spices and seasonings free of commercial “fillers”, including gluten. In fact, 99% of our products are gluten-free. So it’s actually easier to point out the few products we carry that DO contain gluten.
A few products that DO contain gluten...
The following products DO contain gluten, so you’ll want to AVOID these for a gluten-free diet:
Note: We updated this list as of March 2016 when we were able to confirm from our vendor that all of our bouillon cubes are in fact gluten-free. Yay!
- Veal Demi Glaze: This classic French demi glaze made with veal and beef stock is the only one of our eight demi glazes and stock concentrates that contains gluten. The rest—including seafood, duck, lamb, turkey, chicken, and vegetable—are gluten-free.
- Wasabi Garnishing Sauce: Many pre-packaged condiments contain gluten. The bottled wasabi sauce we carry is one of them. To make your own gluten-free wasabi sauce, use our wasabi powder as a base or try the wasabi cream featured in our Asian Style Seared Tuna recipe.
- Mesquite Smoke Flavoring: We discontinued this product in 2015 and it is no longer available on our website. Some stores may still have this powdered smoky flavoring on their shelves. If you purchased this product from us in the past and it’s still in your spice cabinet, know that the mesquite flavor is carried on a barley malt flour base, which contains gluten.
That’s it! Those are the few products we carry that contain gluten. While we are not a certified gluten-free facility, the products that contain gluten come into our facility pre-packaged and leave the same way, never being exposed to the rest of our products. The rest of our spices and handcrafted seasonings are gluten-free, including our hot sauces and extracts.
A few gluten-free recipes...
Almost 400 of our recipes submitted by spice merchants and customers are gluten-free as well. A few of our favorite gluten-free recipes include:
- Asian BBQ Sriracha: Since pre-packaged condiments can be hit or miss when it comes to being gluten-free, we’re always fans of making your own. In this homemade sriracha hot sauce, the heat from dried chiles is balanced by the sweet notes in our Chinese Five Spice inspired Asian Delight BBQ Rub.
- Bajan Lowcountry Shrimp & Rice: This one-pot, Caribbean-inspired shrimp & rice dish makes a great weeknight meal. In addition to being gluten-free, it can easily be adapted into a vegan or vegetarian dish with just a few substitutions.
- Gluten-Free Honey Graham Cookies: Not only are these gluten-free but you can flavor them in several different ways with various cocoa powders and baking spices. So you can have a different cookie each time you make them!
- Black Sesame Coconut Ice Cream: This gluten-free dessert has the bonus of being dairy-free, too. The black sesame seeds provide a sweet yet nutty note, and the coconut extract and coconut flakes add a boost of coconut-y flavor to the coconut milk that is the ice cream base.
Other Ways to Eat "Free"
If you’re looking for even more ways to eat “free”, yet make meals that are full of flavor, you can also search for seasonings and recipes in the following categories.
Meat-Free (a.k.a. Vegetarian): With the exception of some of our bouillon, broth, and demi glaze products (e.g. fish, chicken, beef, lamb) almost all of our products are vegetarian, so there is little you need to avoid if you have a meat-free diet. There are so many vegetarian seasonings that we picked out our favorites for veggies to give you some suggestions. We also have more than 400 vegetarian recipes to choose from!
Dairy-Free: Whether you’re simply avoiding dairy or you’re looking for vegan diet choices, we have over 450 dairy-free products and almost 300 dairy-free recipes to choose from. Basically, if you avoid our cheese-based seasonings you’ll be fine. One product that is dairy-free but not vegan is our coconut milk powder. Powdered coconut milk is 65% coconut oil carried on a maltodextrin base with a trace of sodium caseinate to keep the oil from separating. Sodium caseinate a protein found in milk, so it is technically an animal product but it is classified as a non-dairy product.
Nut-Free: If your diet is nut-free because of allergies or other reasons, you can rest assured that we still have plenty of flavor choices for you. We have over 460 nut-free spice products and 440 nut-free recipes. One product we carry that is NOT nut-free, surprisingly, is pink peppercorns. Pink peppercorns are related to the cashew family and therefore may produce an allergic response to people with tree nut allergies. We only have a few products that contain pink peppercorns, which we label appropriately and process using separate equipment from the rest of our products.
Have your own favorite healthy eating recipes? Submit them to our test kitchen so we can share it with our Savory Spice friends and family.