Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Bread
A deliciously moist cake topped with a nutty crumble... This is why the jack-o'-lantern grins: he knows how awesome this pumpkin bread is! Enjoy with hot tea on an autumn evening for the perfect experience.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts (or pecans), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. confectioner's sugar
- Choose ONE of the following sugars:
- 1/4 cup Georgia Peach Spice
- 1/4 cup Pure Maple Sugar
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 (15 oz.) can unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. salt
- Choose ONE of the following spice blends:
- 1 Tbsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Tbsp. Mt. Baker Chai Spice Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Spice
- 3/4 cup maple sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or yogurt)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. dehydrated minced orange peel (or fresh orange zest)
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup walnuts (or pecans), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup to 1 cup sliced crystallized ginger, finely chopped*
*Adjust the amount of ginger based on your taste preference or how much you have on hand. This recipe is adapted from americastestkitchen.com.
For topping: In a small bowl combine flour, walnuts, brown sugar, confectioner's sugar and your choice of Georgia Peach Spice or maple sugar. Cut chilled butter in small pieces and add to dry ingredients. Use fingers to incorporate butter, making a crumbly mixture. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two loaf pans, approximately 8½ by 4½ inches each. In a large saucepan combine pumpkin puree, salt and your choice of Pumpkin Pie Spice, Mt. Baker Chai Spice Seasoning, or Baking Spice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is reduced to about 1½ cups, about 8 min. Remove pot from heat and whisk in sugars, oil and sour cream. In a separate bowl whisk eggs and buttermilk with orange peel and juice. Add egg mixture to pumpkin mixture and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Fold flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until combined. Fold nuts and ginger into batter. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Sprinkle topping evenly over both loaves. Bake for 40 to 45 mins. or until topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let loaves cool in pans for 15 mins. before removing loaves to a wire rack to cool.
Serve warm or room temperature. Delicious with whipped cream cheese.