Ancho After Dark – A Chocolate Pie Recipe
1 (9-inch) pie
- 1 1/3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (or chocolate graham cracker crumbs)
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. * Fine Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 7 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips, melted*
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. * Natural Coffee Extract
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. * Natural Raspberry Extract
- 2 Tbsp. * Black Onyx Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries (optional)
Add all Savory items to cart
*Melt chocolate chips in a glass bowl on high in the microwave for 30-seconds increments until melted.
For crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together crumbs, butter, sugar, and Espresso Powder and press into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until crisp, about 15 min. Set on a rack to cool completely.
For filling: Whisk sugar with cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a 3-quart saucepan until combined. Continue to whisk while pouring in the milk in a slow stream. Set the saucepan over medium heat and continue to whisk until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and whisk for 1 more min.; the mixture should be thick. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate, butter, extract, and ground chiles. Transfer filling to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap so that the plastic is touching the surface of the filling. Let cool completely, about 2 hours. Spoon cooled filling into the crust. Loosely cover pie and chill for at least 6 hours.
For topping: Just before serving, use an electric mixer to beat cream with sugar and raspberry extract until it holds stiff peaks. Spoon the whipped topping over the pie. Dust pie with Black Onyx Cocoa Powder and garnish with fresh raspberries.
Try using this pie filling for our Amish Style Fried Pies recipe.
Bob Heffron and Dana Hall, Savory Spice - Oklahoma City, OK customers