Asian BBQ Lettuce Wraps with Kimchi Cukes Recipe
For kimchi cukes:
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced into thin half moons
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. * Korean Red Pepper Chile Threads
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions, white and green parts sliced
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. * Asian Delight BBQ Rub
- 1 1/2 lbs. flank steak
- 2 Tbsp. * Asian Delight BBQ Rub
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated and rinsed
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice of the month club. Here are substitution suggestions for adapting the recipe to different palates:
- Vegetarian: Replace flank steak with 4 to 6 portobello mushrooms. Rub mushrooms with seasoning (use a little soy sauce or tamari if necessary to make seasoning stick) and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 min.; grill over medium-high heat (or sear in a lightly oiled skillet on stovetop) for about 5 min. per side; slice into strips and serve on lettuce leaves with sauce and kimchi cukes.
- Vegan: Follow vegetarian substitutions and replace honey in sauce with agave nectar.
- Gluten-Free: Use tamari instead of soy sauce.
For kimchi cukes: In a colander, toss cucumbers with sugar and salt; set over a plate (to catch draining liquid) and let stand for 10 min. Toast chile threads in a skillet over medium heat for 1 to 2 min. then transfer to a shallow bowl. Add remaining kimchi ingredients and fold in drained cucumbers. Let stand for at least 15 min., tossing once or twice.
For sauce: In a small bowl, mix honey and peanut butter together until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
For wraps: Rub both sides of steak with Asian Delight and let sit at room temperature for 30 min. Grill over medium-high heat (or sear in a lightly oiled skillet on stovetop) for about 4 min. per side, or until cooked to an internal temperature of 130 degrees for medium-rare. Remove from heat, cover with foil, and let rest 5 min. Slice thin (across the grain) and serve over lettuce leaves topped with kimchi cukes and sauce.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen