Recipe: Birtha DeBlues BBQ Sauce
A customer submitted this quick and easy Kansas City style BBQ sauce...and we love it! You can easily adjust the sweet, spicy, and smoky flavors to your personal preference.
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Medium Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Mild Yellow Mustard Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Organic Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Jamaican Allspice Berries
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. Hickory Smoke Flavoring*
- 1 1/4 cups ketchup (preferably Hunt’s)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
*Hickory smoke flavoring is strong, so use it sparingly; start with 1/8 tsp. and add more while cooking if more smoke flavor is desired. In place of the dry smoke flavoring, you can use ¾ tsp. liquid smoke (or more to taste); add it to the liquid ingredients.
Combine dry ingredients together in a small bowl. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine ketchup, vinegar, and water. Add dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly to combine. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for about 15 min. Remove from heat and let cool completely before serving.
Use as a dipping or basting sauce with your favorite BBQ fare.