Black Gold Chicken and Farro Tray Bake Recipe
Active Prep: 30 min
Cook: 1 hour
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups water
- 4 Black Cardamom Pods
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 leek, halved and sliced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced small
- 3/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Ceylon "True" Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Coarse Black Malabar Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter, cut into four pieces
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. Gold Coast Tropical Poultry Rub
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs, skin-on, bone-in
- 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and cut into rings
- Sambal Chile Sauce, to serve*
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice of the month club. Here are substitution suggestions for adapting the recipe to different palates:
- Gluten-Free: Substitute brown rice for farro.
- Vegetarian: Substitute large portobello mushroom caps for chicken and add to tray bake for the last 25 minutes of baking. Omit baking powder and rub with a small amount of olive oil to get seasoning to stick to mushrooms.
- Vegan: Substitute vegan butter for butter and agave syrup for honey. See above for substituting for chicken.
For farro: Combine farro and water in a 9x13 baking dish and let grains soak for at least 30 min. Meanwhile, crush Black Cardamom pods to a fine powder using a mortar and pestle, an electric spice grinder, or a zip top bag and a rolling pin. Discard any larger pieces of shell that do not grind up and add powder to farro along with garlic, leek, sweet potato, salt, cinnamon, and black pepper. Evenly place pats of butter and drizzle honey over mixture.
For chicken: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a similarly sized wire baking rack on top of farro dish so that chicken can be suspended over farro during cooking. If you don't have a wire rack, you can cook chicken, Brussels sprouts, and red bell pepper on a separate, lightly greased baking sheet.
In a medium bowl, Mix Gold Coast Tropical Poultry Rub, baking powder, and salt. Combine 1 tsp. of the mixture with olive oil and set aside. With remaining spice mixture, season chicken thighs generously on all sides. Place chicken on the baking rack over the farro. Toss Brussels sprouts and red bell pepper rings in reserved seasoned oil. Distribute sprouts evenly around chicken and place red bell pepper rings directly on top of chicken thighs.
Bake farro and chicken for 60 min., or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees and farro is softened but toothsome. Serve grains with veggies and chicken, topped with sambal.
*Check out our Sambal Chile Sauce for serving.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen