Black Hills Veggie Fajitas Recipe
4 to 6 servings
For quick pickle:
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. Mexican Oregano
- 1 to 2 carrots, cut into thin matchsticks ( about 1 cup)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
For veggie fajitas:
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 8 oz. Portabello mushroom caps, sliced into strips (about 2 cups)
- red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 zucchini, sliced into 3-inch strips
- 1 yellow squash, sliced into 3-inch strips
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. Black Hills BBQ Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Mexican Oregano
- For serving: Tortillas or rice, sour cream, black olives, and/or cilantro
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe provides a substitution for our Beef Carnitas with Carrot-Onion Quick Pickle.
For quick pickle: Bring vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and oregano to a simmer in a small saucepan, stir to dissolve sugar and salt. Set carrot and onion in a glass bowl and pour hot liquid over to cover. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
For veggie fajitas: Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan. Add mushrooms, pepper, zucchini, squash, onion, garlic and, optional jalapeno. Season with salt and pepper, cook about 10 min. or until tender. Transfer to a plate. Add tomato, broth, Black Hills, oregano, and cook for 2 min., stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Return veggies to pan and stir to combine.
To assemble: Remove veggies from pan. Serve over tortillas or rice topped with quick pickle and garnish of choice, sour cream, black olives, and/or cilantro.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen