Recipe: Black River Creole Sauce with Sausage & Rice
This is a great weeknight recipe. It easily doubles to feed a crowd. It was created by the Savory Spice Shop in Santa Rosa, CA for the Kendall Jackson Tomato Festival.
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup peeled & chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp. Black River Creole Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. Dehydrated Minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Cajun Cayenne Hot Sauce
- oz. 1 California Bay Leaf
- 1 to 2 lbs. cooked Andouille sausage
- 4 cups cooked rice
This recipe also works with Cajun Style Blackening Seasoning in place of Black River Creole Seasoning.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, and celery and sauté for 5 min. Stir in Black River Creole Seasoning and garlic and cook for another minute or two, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce, broth, sugar, salt, hot sauce, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to maintain a simmer until veggies are tender, about 20 min. While sauce is simmering, bake sausage in the oven for 20 to 30 min. then cut into cubes and add to the sauce. Serve sausage and sauce over a bed of cooked rice.