Chai Iced Hermits Recipe
About 3 dozen cookies
Active Prep: 20 min
Cook: 22 min
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. Mt. Baker Chai Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. Maldon Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Coarse Black Malabar Pepper
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 cup Sliced Crystallized Ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. 2X Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
Add all Savory items to cart
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Iced Hermits recipe.
For cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10x15-inch rimmed baking sheet and line it with parchment paper; leave parchment paper overhanging a little on the sides and butter the paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, Mt. Baker, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl and set aside. Beat butter in an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, about 3 min. Add brown sugar and mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 min. Gently beat in eggs and molasses. On low speed, gradually mix in flour mixture. When well incorporated mix in ginger. Spread dough evenly onto prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 min., then rotate pan and bake another 10 to 12 min. until firm. Cool completely on wire rack.
For icing: Place brown sugar, milk, and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and confectioners’ sugar. If icing is too thin, stir in more sugar 1 tsp. at a time until desired consistency is reached. Drizzle cooled cookies with icing. Let stand 15 min. then cut cookies into 2-inch bars. Bars can be stored in a single layer in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days, or they can be frozen!
Best enjoyed 1 to 2 days after baked to give time for the flavors to deepen.