Chicken Avocado Tortilla Soup Recipe
4 to 6 servings
- 2 jalapeño peppers, charred, seeded and diced*
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp. Peruvian Chile Lime Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Cuban Island Spice
- 1 tsp. Crushed Aleppo Chiles
- 1/2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 oz.) can fired roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced or sliced
- Optional garnishes: shredded cheese, sour cream
Add all Savory items to cart
*To char jalapeños, hold them over the flame of a gas burner with tongs, turning until charred. Or broil in oven turning every few minutes until charred.
In a 5- to 6-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine jalapeños, onion, Peruvian Chile Lime, Cuban Island, Aleppo and garlic and stir until spices are fragrant. Add broth, tomatoes and green chiles and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 min., stirring occasionally. Add chicken and tortilla strips to broth and return to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 10 min. Stir in cilantro (if using). Garnish each serving with avocado.
Serve with shredded cheese or sour cream and tortilla chips or warm cornbread.