Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
4 to 6 servings
Active Prep: 10 min
Cook: 1 hour
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
- Salt & pepper, to season
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. Black Lampong Peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices (about 2 cups)
- 1 large leek, halved and rinsed, white & light green parts sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Herbes de Provence
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- Fresh tarragon or thyme, to garnish
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory's spice-of-the-month club. Here are some substitution options:
- Gluten-Free: use an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix.
- Vegetarian: Check out our Veggies & Dumplings recipe for this variation.
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken thighs with salt & pepper. Set thighs skin-side down in pot and cook for 3 to 4 min. per side, or until lightly browned. Carefully pour in broth and water, then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 30 min., or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer cooked chicken to a platter and let cool.
While chicken is cooking, make dumplings. In a large bowl, whisk flour and baking powder together. Place Black Lampong Peppercorns in a small zip-top bag. Seal bag and use a rolling pin to coarsely crush peppercorns. Stir crushed peppercorns into flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or fork to “cut in” cold butter until mixture is crumbly and no large clumps of butter remain. Pour in buttermilk and stir with a fork until a shaggy dough comes together. Use your hands to knead the dough in the bowl until it can be formed into a ball. Transfer dough to a well-floured work surface and roll out to 1/4-inch thickness, then cut into 1-inch squares.
While chicken cools, add carrots, leek, and Herbes de Provence to broth. Add dumplings a handful at a time. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 min. Once chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and use two forks to shred meat off the bone. Add shredded chicken and peas to broth and simmer for 10 more min. Chop fresh herbs and use to garnish before serving.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen