Chicken Shawarma Lettuce Wraps with Yogurt-Tahini Sauce Recipe
Active Prep: 15 min
Cook: 30 min
For marinade & dressing:
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. Baharat
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
For chicken & salad:
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. Ground Sumac, plus more to garnish
- 1 head bibb or butter lettuce, whole leaves rinsed
- 4 pieces pita bread
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory's spice-of-the-month club. Here are some substitution options:
- Vegetarian: Substitute chicken thighs with 2 (14 oz.) blocks of firm tofu, sliced thick. Marinade as recipe directs and grill on cleaned and well-oiled grates. Adjust cooking time as needed.
- Vegan: Follow vegetarian directions above and use a plain non-dairy yogurt.
For marinade & dressing: In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, Baharat, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix until smooth. Transfer 1/2 cup of the mixture to a small, shallow baking dish along with chicken thighs. Turn chicken to thoroughly coat in marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 12 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining mixture to use as dressing.
For chicken & salad: Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove chicken from marinade and grill for 5 to 7 min. per side, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove chicken from grill and tent with foil while preparing salad. In a large bowl, toss cucumber, cherry tomatoes, parsley, and red onion with lemon juice and add salt & pepper to taste. Stir Ground Sumac Berries into chilled dressing. Slice chicken and divide evenly between lettuce leaf cups. Top with salad, drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with additional Ground Sumac Berries to garnish. Serve with pita bread and remaining dressing on the side.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen