Chicken Shawarma Lettuce Wraps with Yogurt-Tahini Sauce Recipe
Active Prep: 15 min
Cook: 30 min
For marinade & dressing:
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. fresh ground pepper
For chicken & salad:
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 Tbsp. Baharat, divided
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced small
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup minced parsley
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Ground Sumac, plus more to garnish
- 1 head bibb or butter lettuce, whole leaves rinsed
- 4 pieces pita bread for serving
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory's spice-of-the-month club. Here are some substitution options:
- Vegetarian: Substitute chicken thighs with 2 (14 oz.) blocks of firm tofu, sliced thick. Marinade as recipe directs and grill on cleaned and well-oiled grates. Adjust cooking time as needed.
- Vegan: Follow vegetarian directions above and use a plain non-dairy yogurt.
For marinade & dressing: Mix yogurt with tahini, 1/4 cup lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic until smooth. Transfer 1/2 cup of the mixture to a large zip-top storage bag to use as the marinade. To remaining mixture, add 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, salt, and pepper to use as dressing. Cover and refrigerate dressing until ready to use.
For chicken & salad: Add chicken and 2 Tbsp. of Baharat to bag with marinade. Seal bag and massage chicken pieces to coat. Refrigerate for 2 to 12 hours—the longer the better! Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove chicken from marinade and sprinkle with salt (for a little more heat, sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. Baharat). Grill chicken for 5 to 7 min. per side, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove chicken from grill and tent with foil while preparing salad. Toss cucumber, tomatoes, parsley, and red onion with lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste. Stir 1 tsp. sumac into chilled dressing. Slice chicken and serve in lettuce leaves. Top with salad, drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with additional sumac for garnish. Serve with pita bread and remaining dressing on the side.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen