Recipe: Chocolate Coated Coconut Balls
A note from the recipe author: My mother made these candies every Christmas when I was growing up. I loved them!
For the coconut balls:
- 1/4 lb. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 lbs. powdered sugar
- 1 (14 oz.) package sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 (15 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts of your choice
For the flavor options (choose ONE of the following):
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Chinese Cassia Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Bean Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Ras el Hanout
- 2 Tbsp. Mt. Baker Chai Spice Seasoning
For the chocolate coating:
- 12 oz. dark, semisweet or white chocolate chips (or candy melting chocolate)
Use one of the suggested flavor options or explore with your favorite baking spice (e.g. Baker's Brew Coffee Spice, Chinese Five Spice) or a sweeter style curry powder (e.g. Marrakech Moroccan Spice, Garam Masala).
In a large bowl, combine ingredients for coconut balls with choice of flavor option. Mix well (using hands is easiest) and chill. Form into teaspoon-size balls and chill again. Melt choice of chocolate in a double boiler. (Or microwave in a glass bowl on high for 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until chocolate is melted and smooth). Leave bowl set over hot water during as you dip the coconut balls; gently reheat as necessary to keep chocolate melted. Using a toothpick, dip coconut balls in melted chocolate to taste; you can fully coat them or just dip them part way. Set balls on wax paper until chocolate is set. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. These freeze well if you want to make them ahead for easy treats to have on hand through the holidays.