Recipe: Coconutty Almond Bars
When you taste this raw, low-sugar, vegan treat, you'll wonder how something so delicious can be so good for you. These make a great dessert but can also pass for a morning or afternoon energy snack.
- 2 3/4 cups raw almonds, chopped
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp. Pure Organic Madagascar Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped (or other dried fruit of choice)
- 1/4 cup Black Chia Seeds
- 3 to 4 oz. unsweetened dark chocolate, melted
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. Ghost Pepper Salt
Line a 9x9-inch pan with wax paper. In a blender or food processor, combine 2 cups of the almonds with agave, coconut oil, vanilla extract and kosher salt. Blend until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the oats with 3/4 cup of the shredded coconut, half of the remaining chopped almonds, apricots (or other dried fruit) and chia seeds. Stir almond-agave mixture into the dry ingredients. Spread mixture into prepared pan. Cover top with another piece of wax paper and mixture press evenly into pan. Remove wax paper and spread or drizzle melted chocolate evenly over the top. Sprinkle with remaining shredded coconut and chopped almonds. Lightly dust with Ghost Pepper Salt (if using). Let set at room temperature overnight uncovered. Slice into bars and serve. Store, sealed, in an airtight container.