Corn & Poblano Chowder Recipe
Active Prep: 10 min
Cook: 35 min
- 4 slices bacon (optional)
- 2 large leeks, white parts diced
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Nantucket Herb & Citrus Rub
- 1/2 tsp. Whiskey Barrel Smoked Black Pepper
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen corn kernels (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives for garnish
Add all Savory items to cart
Vegetarian/Vegan: Omit bacon and use 2 Tbsp. olive oil to cook veggies; use unsweetened almond or soy milk in place of regular milk.
Gluten-free: Use an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend or omit flour.
Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a large pot until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and crumble into pieces once cool. (If omitting bacon, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large pot instead.) Add leeks, poblano, and potato to pot with bacon grease (or oil). Sprinkle flour over the veggies, then stir to coat. Cook over medium heat until veggies start to soften, about 5 min. Stir in garlic, Nantucket Herb & Citrus Rub, and pepper. Add corn, broth, and milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 25 min. or until potatoes are almost falling apart; stir occasionally. Season with salt to taste. For a creamier chowder, transfer about a third of the soup to a blender and puree; stir pureed chowder back into the pot. Serve warm topped with crumbled bacon (if using) and chives.
Add 1 cup leftover shredded turkey or chicken for an even heartier chowder.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen