Creole Chili with Steamed Biscuits Recipe
6 to 8 servings
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 12 oz. smoked Andouille sausage, sliced
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle amber ale beer
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. Black River Creole (use 2 Tbsp. for less heat)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 2 cups frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3 California bay leaves
- 1 (8-count) package refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice of the month club.
Here are substitution suggestions for adapting the recipe to different diets:
- Vegetarian: Use a vegetarian sausage and vegetable broth.
- Vegan: Use a vegan sausage and vegetable broth. Omit biscuits and serve over rice instead.
- Gluten-free: Use a gluten-free beer. Omit biscuits and serve over rice instead.
- Other: Use green beans or peas in place of okra, use your favorite canned beans in place of black-eyed peas, or make your own homemade biscuit dough instead of using the packaged stuff.
Heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven or similar oven-safe pot with a lid. Add sausage and cook for 10 min., or until well browned, then transfer to a plate. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to pot. Stir in onions and cook for 5 min. Stir in garlic and half of the beer. Simmer until beer is almost gone, stirring often to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in celery, bell pepper, and Black River Creole and cook for 3 more min. Add in cooked sausage, remaining beer, chicken stock, okra, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for about 1 1/2 hours, or until thickened.
Once chili is done simmering, remove bay leaves and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay biscuit dough pieces in an even layer on top of the chili. Cover and bake for about 15 min., or until biscuits are cooked through. For browned biscuits, bake uncovered instead. Serve by scooping up a biscuit with each helping of chili.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen