Recipe: Crispy Pan-Fried Fish & Asparagus
This is the perfect, light summer meal. Seared asparagus is tossed with one of our customer-favorite seasonings and serves as a bed for an easy pan-fried fish, made crispy with gluten-free cornmeal and slightly smoky with our favorite paprika. The same pan-fried method works great with chicken or pork cutlets and tofu, too, for a non-seafood version.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. asparagus spears
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp. Capitol Hill Seasoning
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 (8 oz.) or 4 (4 oz.) mild white fish fillets (e.g. cod, rockfish, halibut)
- 4 tsp. Smoked Spanish Sweet Paprika, divided
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds
- Cooked rice or grains of choice for serving (optional)
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory's spice-of-the-month club. Here are some substitution options:
- Seafood-free: Replace fish fillets with thin chicken or pork cutlets.
- Vegetarian/Vegan: Replace fish fillets with a block of extra-firm tofu sliced into 4 slices (about 1/2-inch thick each) and pat slices dry wtih paper towel before sprinkling with paprika and dredging in cornmeal.
- Gluten-free: No substitutions needed.
For asparagus: Trim ends from asparagus. If spears are thick, slice in half lengthwise. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add asparagus and cook until just tender, 2 to 4 min. depending on thickness. Add almonds and Capitol Hill and cook for 1 more min., stirring constantly so the nuts and seasoning don’t burn. Remove from heat and immediately transfer to a platter, scraping out all of the almonds and seasoning from the skillet. Squeeze juice from lemon half over asparagus.
For fish: If using 2 (8 oz.) fish fillets, cut them in half to yield 4 fillets. Sprinkle each fillet generously with about 1 tsp. paprika, dividing it between both sides. In same skillet used for asparagus, heat 1 Tbsp. each butter and oil over medium-high heat. Place cornmeal in a pie tin or wide bowl. Dredge both sides of each seasoned fish fillet in cornmeal. Shake off any excess cornmeal and add fillets, 2 at a time, to skillet to fry for about 2 to 4 min. per side depending on thickness of fillets. Repeat for remaining 2 fillets, adding 1 more Tbsp. each butter and oil between batches. Lay fried fish fillets on asparagus and squeeze juice from lemon half over top. Serve immediately garnished with parsley and almonds. Delicious served with cooked rice or grains of choice on the side.