Cuban Bolognese with Zoodles Recipe
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (or tempeh)
- 3 Tbsp. Cuban Island Spice
- 1 cup whole milk (or almond milk)
- 1/8 tsp. fresh grated Grenada Nutmeg
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14.5) oz. can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (14.5) oz. can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 medium to large zucchini
- Grated Parmesan for garnish (optional)
Add all Savory items to cart
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice of the month club. Here are substitution suggestions for adapting the recipe to different palates:
- Vegetarian: Use the tempeh option.
- Vegan: Use tempeh and almond milk options and omit Parmesan.
- Gluten-Free: No substitutions necessary, this recipe is already gluten-free.
Heat 4 Tbsp. of the oil in a large saute pan or pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 min. Add carrots and celery; season lightly with salt and pepper and cook for 2 more min., stirring occasionally. Add beef (or tempeh) and Cuban Island Spice and cook for 2 to 3 min., crumbling the meat as you stir. (If using tempeh, add ½ cup water while it cooks.) Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in milk and nutmeg. (Rub whole nutmeg against the surface of a small grater to grate.) Cook for 3 to 4 min. then increase heat to medium and stir in wine. Cook until most of the wine has evaporated, 10 to 12 min. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in tomatoes. Cook, uncovered, for at least 10 min. or up to 1 hour depending on how thick you want the sauce; stir occasionally.
Meanwhile, make zoodles using one of these methods: Use a vegetable peeler to shave zucchini lengthwise into thin ribbons then slice the ribbons in half lengthwise. Or slice zucchini into 4-inch long thin matchstick-like strips. Once the bolognese is done, heat remaining oil in a separate large saute pan over medium heat. Add zoodles, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 min. Transfer to plates or bowls and top with a generous portion of bolognese and sprinkle with Parmesan (if using).
Savory Spice Test Kitchen