Recipe: Curried Sweet Potato Soup
This velvety, mild curry soup is the perfect fall or winter warmer. The recipe features an easy homemade sweet chile sauce that tasters in our test kitchen swooned over.
For sweet chile sauce:
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Vietnamese Sweet Lemon Curry
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes or yams (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 oz. carrots (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 (13.5 oz.) cans coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp. sweet chile sauce, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
This recipe is featured in Spice Club, Savory’s spice of the month club. Here are substitution suggestions for adapting the recipe to different palates:
- Vegan: No substitutions needed.
- Vegetarian: No substitutions needed.
- Gluten-free: Use tamari in place of soy sauce.
For sweet chile sauce: Use a mortar & pestle or small food processor to grind garlic, crushed red pepper, and salt into a coarse paste. Bring sugar, water, and vinegar to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 min. Stir in garlic paste and simmer until sauce thickens into a syrupy consistency, about 10 min. Remove from heat; sauce will thicken even more as it cools. Sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator; use within a few months.
For soup: Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 10 min. or until onions are soft and starting to brown. Add ginger, garlic, curry, and salt and cook for 2 more min. Stir in all remaining ingredients except cilantro and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min. or until sweet potatoes and carrots fall apart when you put a fork through them. Carefully, and in batches if necessary, puree soup in a blender until smooth. Put the pureed soup back in the pot over low heat. Serve warm topped with cilantro leaves and drizzled with sweet chile sauce to taste.
The soup freezes well.