Dinosaur Chops Recipe
4 to 8 servings
Active Prep: 10 min
Cook: 6 hours
- 4 (4-inch thick) bone-in pork chops*
- 2 to 3 tsp. ‘Cue Glue per pound meat (optional, but highly recommended)**
- 1 tsp. Salt & Pepper Tableside Seasoning per pound meat
- 1 Tbsp. Long’s Peak Pork Chop Spice per pound meat
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Add all Savory items to cart
*You’ll need to ask your butcher to cut these ginormous chops for you. Some butchers call them "double cut" pork chops.
**Savory's 'Cue Glue helps the seasoning stick to your protein and seals in moisture. Simply slather on 2 to 3 tsp. per pound on all sides of the meat before applying the seasoning.
This recipe requires a smoker.
Slather chops on all sides with 'Cue Glue (if using) before rubbing with seasoning. Rub chops generously with salt & pepper and BBQ seasoning to coat. Set rubbed chops aside while you get the smoker ready.
Use the 3-2-1 method to smoke-roast-grill the chops:
- 3 hours in the smoker: Get smoker set up with wood of choice and heat to 250 to 275 degrees. Set chops in smoker and maintain temperature range while chops smoke for 3 hours.
- 2 hours in the oven: Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Wrap chops in aluminum foil and add 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar to the wrap. Set foil packet on a baking sheet and roast chops for 2 hours.
- 1 hour on the grill: About 30 min. before removing chops from oven, heat grill to 300 degrees, keeping heat all to one side. Remove leg from oven and remove the foil wrap. Place chops on grill on the opposite side of the heat. Close lid and check temperature every 15 min. or so, basting or saucing if desired each time you check. Chops are done when internal temperature reaches 145 degrees, which takes about an hour. Let rest for 15 to 20 min. before serving.
Serve with a large steak knife and your favorite BBQ sides.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen