Dry Brined Turkey or Chicken Recipe
1 turkey or chicken
Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 3 hours
- 1 turkey or chicken (whole or pieces)
- 1 tsp. coarse seasoning salt blend per pound of poultry, such as:
- Brining Mix
- Herbes de Provence Seasoning Salt
- Cantanzaro Herbs Seasoning Salt
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning per pound of poultry, such as:
- Tiny Town Turkey Rub
- Bohemian Forest European Style Seasoning
- Nantucket Rosemary & Citrus Poultry Rub
When preparing and cooking a turkey, be sure to follow proper food safety and handling guidelines.
Pat poultry dry. Place choice of seasoning salt in a spice grinder or mortar & pestle and pulse or crush to break down the salt and whole spice pieces in the seasoning into a finer grind; this will help to distribute the seasoning salt more evenly across the turkey. Use hands to separate skin from the poultry breast and rub some of the seasoning salt under skin. Rub entire bird all over with remaining seasoning salt. Set poultry on a plate or baking sheet and loosely cover. Refrigerate for 1 to 3 days depending on size of bird (1 to 2 days for whole chicken, 2 to 3 days for whole turkey). Remove from refrigerator about an hour before cooking. Pat poultry dry and rub all over with 1 tsp. seasoning of choice per pound of poultry. Dry brining can be done for any style of poultry cooking: roasting, smoking, grilling, or frying.
Savory Spice Test Kitchen