Easy Thai Chicken Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Gai) Recipe
6 to 8 servings
Active Prep: 10 min
Cook: 40 min
- 6 cups broth
- 1 oz. Dehydrated Porcini Mushrooms
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. Cambodian Lemongrass Curry
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Thai Green Curry
- 1 tsp. Powdered Makrut Lime Leaves
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 3 skinless chicken thighs (either bone-in or boneless)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk Powder
- 1 cup warm water
- Salt, to taste
- Thinly sliced scallions
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Add all Savory items to cart
If desired, the following modifications can be made to this recipe:
- Use 6 cups of water and 3 Organic Vegetable Bouillon Cubes in place of 6 cups broth.
- Use 3 oz. chopped fresh porcini or oyster mushrooms in place of dehydrated mushrooms.
- Substitute coconut milk powder and water mixture with 1 cup canned coconut milk.
- Add an 8 oz. can of sliced bamboo with the bell peppers for more texture.
Break mushrooms into 1/2 inch pieces. In a medium pot, combine broth, mushrooms, curry powders, and lime powder. Heat over medium-low until gently simmering, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and bell peppers. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 to 30 min., or until chicken is cooked through. Meanwhile, mix coconut milk powder and warm water and set aside. Remove chicken thighs from pot and shred with two forks. Slowly stir in coconut milk mixture into the soup. Add shredded chicken back to pot and season with salt to taste. Serve hot with fresh green onion, cilantro, and lime wedges (if using).
Savory Spice & Co., Alderwood/Seattle, WA